Updated March 25, 2021:
As of April 1, 2021, The League will begin a very limited reopening of in-person classes at our location on 57th Street, including an Open Sketch Class that runs Monday through Friday from 1:00 to 4:30 PM. (For more information, see our Eventbrite.) As always, the health and safety of our students, instructors, visitors, and staff are our top priorities.
What We’ve Done So Far
During our closure, League staff have been working hard to make our beloved building as safe as possible for returning students and instructors by:
- Investing heavily in our airflow systems, and upgrading our air filters to MERV 13, the new industry standard for educational institutions and office facilities.
- Repairing and reconditioning our fresh air ventilation system, enhancing the flow of outside air into the building in all spaces and at all times.
- Renovating our restrooms to include touchless facilities. Hand sanitizer dispensers are also available throughout the school.
- Establishing more frequent cleanings, both in our building-wide cleaning schedule and in regular cleaning of high-touch surfaces throughout the day.
- Separating entrance and exit doors for getting in and out of the building, the registration office, and any studio with two or more doors.
- Installing signage in front of the elevators and throughout the building to encourage social distancing and appropriate traffic flow.
- Designating UP only and DOWN only staircases to restrict two-way traffic in confined spaces.
- Installing plexiglass dividers between the staff and students in the registration office.
What The League Reopening Looks Like
When you return, things may work a little differently than they did before. Here’s what to expect:
- Class sizes will be restricted for the purposes of social distancing. Safety protocols will be strictly enforced.
- A daily health screening process has been put in place that requires all staff, students, and visitors to answer screening questions before they can be granted access to enter the building.
- A confidential League email address has been set up so staff, students, and/or visitors can report COVID-19 related health concerns: [email protected].
What We Need From You
The League is following guidelines issued by the CDC, NY State, and NY City for increased health and safety procedures. It is of the utmost importance that our students and visitors follow these guidelines. Please read them carefully before you arrive. Our ability to remain open safely is dependent on you. The League reserves the right to ask those who do not follow these guidelines to leave the premises. By registering for an on-site class, you agree to abide by these policies:
- Face coverings are required at all times, regardless of whether or not you have received your vaccine.
- Physical social distance must be maintained. Keep at least six feet from others.
- Your temperature will be checked upon arrival.
- Please wash your hands and use hand sanitizer regularly.
- There is no food or drink allowed in our Studios, and The Cafe will be closed for the time being.
- NO SMOKING or vaping
- NO CELL PHONES
- NO PHOTOGRAPHY
- Your class MONITORS are in charge of the studios under the guidance of The League Administration.
Any questions should be brought to the attention of Astrid Rodriguez, Eric Raff, or Tom Tacik.
Other Things You Should Know
- Please stay home if you are feeling sick. If you begin to feel unwell while at The League, please go home and contact your physician. For more information about COVID-19, check the CDC website.
- All students and visitors are required to have their temperatures checked with a forehead or wrist reader prior to entering the building. If you receive a reading of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, we will ask you to leave and come back another day.
- The New York State Covid-19 Travel Advisory requires students and visitors from certain states or countries to quarantine for 10 days. If you are traveling to NYC from any of these states or countries, visitors are required to complete the online Travel Health Form.
- Face coverings are required for all. You will not be permitted inside The League without a face covering. Additionally, face coverings must be worn for the duration of your stay. CDC guidelines advise that face coverings should:
- Reach above the nose, below the chin, and completely cover the mouth and nose
- Fit snugly against the sides of the face
- If you do not have a face covering, you may purchase one from the store by calling 212-247-4510 and selecting 5.
- For our Open Sketch class: Reservations are required, and capacity is limited to 20 students. Please go to Eventbrite to reserve your spot. Payment will be made in the office. Only 2 students will be permitted in the office at a time. Please come 15 to 20 minutes before the start of Open Sketch. Students without reservations to Open Sketch should not come to The League. The office will be unable to accommodate you if you do not have an existing reservation. In class, please follow the physical-distancing markers at entry and exit points as well as in locations of store or gallery. Please do not go near the models or touch the model platforms.
- Capacity is controlled and reduced throughout the building.
- Gallery: 4 people.
- Store: 1 person.
- Restrooms: 2 people.
- Elevators: 4 people.
- Help prevent the spread of germs by washing your hands often with soap and water for at least twenty seconds and by not touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Hand sanitizer is also available at entrances and studios.
- Please cover your mouth and nose if you cough or sneeze.
- Please follow the instructions of security guards and other staff.
- Go directly to and from your destination. Please do not wander around or explore the building.
- An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public space where people are present. We cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to COVID-19 during your stay. Those entering The League do so at their own risk of such exposure.
We look forward to seeing students safely back at The League. Thanks for your cooperation.
What to Do If You Have Covid-19
As you know, The League has been keeping you updated with health and program information related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and The League’s responsive measures. It remains our top priority to keep our students, members, staff, visitors, and instructors safe and healthy.
To assist in that effort, we are asking you to please let us know of any contact or possible contact you might have had with the Coronavirus. Your identity and information will be kept confidential.
To help us keep you and our community safe, please e-mail The League’s Human Resources Department at [email protected] to let us know if:
- You have been diagnosed with COVID-19
- You have had contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
- You, or someone with whom you’ve had close contact, have recently traveled to a country that the CDC has identified as having a risk of Level 2 or higher.
If you meet these criteria, or if you feel ill or develop any symptoms consistent with coronavirus such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath, please do not come to The League and follow the recommendations of the CDC. Click here to read the CDC’s recommendations.
Any information you report to us, which will be kept confidential, will help The League make decisions in the best interests of all our students, members, staff, visitors, and instructors.
Please note that, to date, The League is not aware of any COVID-19 cases in our community and are taking these proactive steps in the best effort to protect you all.
How can I retrieve items from my locker?
- Students will need to contact [email protected]and request to make a locker appointment.
- Will I receive tuition credit or reimbursement for missed classes and/or workshops?
When The League is reopened, students will be credited for any missed classes or workshops.
- How will I be notified if there are confirmed cases at The League?
The League will email its community as soon as any information regarding the above is known. Please check your email regularly regarding status updates.
- How do I join The League’s email list?
If you do not receive an email from us, please (re)subscribe via this link:http://eepurl.com/gpWN31. To prevent missing an email, please also add [email protected] and The Art Students League of New York to your email address book and check your spam/trash folders.
- What about upcoming gallery events — like lectures and the class concours opening receptions?
All public gatherings, including gallery lectures and exhibition receptions, have been postponed until further notice. Please visit our Events page to see the most updated information regarding gallery events.
- What is The League doing to help keep us safe from the Coronavirus?
The League is staying up to date on the development of the virus. As of now, there are no confirmed cases at The League. However, the best way to keep yourself and others at The League safe is to follow CDC’s recommendations: If you feel ill or develop any symptoms consistent with the coronavirus such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath, please do not come to The League. If you have reason to believe that you have been exposed to the Coronavirus, please email [email protected].